unfiving: an enneagram 5 in progress
by Monica Bahan
October 10, 2022 12:22 pm
My name is Monica, and in the enneagram of personality I’m a self-preservation 5w4. Long story short: I tend to self-sabotage by avoiding vulnerability, observing rather than participating, doubting my knowledge, overanalyzing, minimizing my needs, and being stubbornly independent. But I’m tired of getting in my own way. So here I am: opening myself up, taking risks, and sharing reflections and wisdom along the way. With plenty of mixed metaphors and minimal editing—by design and out of necessity.
First, more thoughts on the enneagram frame as I experience it:
– Subtypes/instinctual variants: self-preservation (individual), sexual (one-to-one), and social (collective). My attention stack goes in that order: self-preservation first—so I’m a self-preservation subtype of the 5—then sexual, then social. These days I’m focusing more on the social level after leaving it on the back burner for a long time. What does your stack look like?
– (un)fiving: using the enneagram to facilitate change, self-awareness, and acceptance
– 5 things: reading/consulting a bunch of books and having a ton of browser tabs open at any given time
– 5 thing: using imagination to both escape and complement tangible reality
– 5 thing: disappearing, minimizing my presence when I’m stressed or people around me are stressed (and I get the sense I can’t help or have reached the limits of my helpfulness)
– 5 thing: carrying an implicit belief, from the deep past, that I shouldn’t take up space (because I’m not worthy, it’s selfish, it would impose on someone else, yada yada yada—minds make up stories like it’s their job)
– 5 thing (moving toward 8): learning to boldly take up my space, assert my opinions and desires, ask for what I want and need, accept kindness (maybe even compliments, but that feels harder—more on trust soon!) and generosity from others
A nod to Martha Beck and a small instance of synchronicity / good timing amidst the exhaustion of parenting a toddler.
Appreciation for a kind stranger in a purple sweater.
Gratitude for the sentiment of “no rush”, forever and always.
I would absolutely love to hear from any other fives, five-adjacent, five-curious, or really anyone inclined to share about if and how these themes play out in your lives too.
Find me on Instagram @un.fiving
Music by Sleeping At Last
Production by me, Monica Bahan
Accompanying photos on Instagram @un.fiving
13. What fiving means to me (part two)4 weeks ago
12. What fiving means to me (part one)1 month ago
11. I got lost2 months ago
10. Dismantling personality, building self3 months ago
9. Reframing gratitude4 months ago
8. A wet wing moment4 months ago
7. You can’t go back4 months ago
6. Dating and decluttering5 months ago
5. The brain, the enneagram, human design, and a story5 months ago
4. Open language: your personal lexicon5 months ago