James and Ashley Stay at Home
by James McKenzie Watson and Ashley Kalagian Blunt
October 26, 2022 6:00 am
James and Ashley are staying at home. Partly because there’s a pandemic, partly because they’re writers, and partly because of their health. Through discussions and interviews, they explore the big questions: how do books get written? How do people live with chronic illness? And just what ARE you reading? Hosted by James McKenzie Watson, winner of the 2021 Penguin Literary Prize, and Ashley Kalagian Blunt, author of ‘How to Be Australian.’
How do you work through a major edit on your book when you have a traumatic brain injury? And how do you write about the death of a loved one while you’re grieving? Jackie Bailey, author of debut novel ‘The Eulogy’ and professional deathwalker, joins us to discuss her experience with both.
Jackie Bailey is a professional writer and researcher and a recognised international expert on cultural diversity in the arts. She has a Creative Writing PhD from UNSW and is on the Board of Merrigong Theatre Company. Jackie is also an ordained interfaith minister, trained deathwalker and practising funeral director. ‘The Eulogy’ is her debut novel.
Get your copy of ‘The Eulogy’ from your local bookshop, Booktopia or wherever good books are sold.
Plus, check out the online courses from Writing NSW, including the six-week Online: Creative Non-fiction with Ashley, starting 31 October.
Books and authors discussed in this episode:
– ‘In life, my sister taught me how to love. In death, she made me want to fix the funeral industry’ by Jackie Bailey for the Guardian;
– Dirt Town by Hayley Scrivenor;
– Found, Wanting by Natasha Sholl;
– The Smell of Fresh Rain: The Unexpected Pleasures of Our Most Elusive Sense by Barney Shaw;
– Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck;
– Denizen by James McKenzie Watson (featured in ep 60);
– Virginia Woolf;
– Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller;
– How to Be Australian by Ashley Kalagian Blunt
James’ novel ‘Denizen’ is out now! Learn more about it and buy your copy here.
Get in touch!
– Ashley’s website: ashleykalagianblunt.com
– Ashley’s Twitter: @AKalagianBlunt
– Ashley’s Instagram: @akalagianblunt
– James’ website: jamesmckenziewatson.com
– James’ Twitter: @JamesMcWatson
– James’ Instagram: @jamesmcwatson
66 | How to say goodbye with Jackie Bailey, author of 'The Eulogy'2 weeks ago
65 | The writer and the advocate with Al Campbell, author of 'The Keepers'1 month ago
64 | The most successful episode ever: a conversation about 'Denizen'2 months ago
63 | Rest, recovery and writing with Bronwyn Birdsall, author of 'Time and Tide in Sarajevo'2 months ago
62 | Ashley's big news3 months ago
61 | Bonus episode! Denizen - Online Launch3 months ago
60 | Behind the scenes of 'Denizen,' the debut novel from James McKenzie Watson4 months ago
59 | Bonus episode! Queer Writes Sessions Podcast: R.W.R. McDonald interviews Professor Gregory Phillips4 months ago
58 | Working doubly hard through illness with Rae Cairns, author of 'The Good Mother'5 months ago
57 | Experiments in form with Yumna Kassab, author of 'Australiana'6 months ago