For the Record, An AACRAO Podcast
by Doug McKenna
March 27, 2021 6:00 am
A Registrar Podcast sponsored by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), hosted by Doug McKenna.
For the Record – Season 3 Episode 13- Connect, Educate, and Advocate with the Asian American and Pacific Islander Caucus
With the recent significant rise in racist rhetoric and violence against Asian Americans, members of our community are experiencing fear, anger, and anxiety. In this episode of For the Record, we talk to two members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Caucus to hear their sentiments about the current spate of violence and to talk about ways that we as higher education professionals can support our affected students, faculty, and staff.
– The Asian American community includes 40 different races/ethnicities. It is not monolithic and is quite diverse.
– The AAPI Caucus is open to anyone who wants to participate and is an affinity group to provide community, resources, and support to Asians, Asian Americans, and Pacific Islanders.
– The United States has a long history of persecuting Asian Americans and while we recognize that we can’t flip a switch and create a just society overnight, we maintain hope in our communities and in our service to one another that changing lives through higher education can change the world.
Michelle Tsigaridas Weller
New York Law School
Director of Institutional Effectiveness and Registrar
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
References and Additional Information:
– AAPI Caucus – Please visit the AAPI Caucus page for additional resources relating to mental health, training, and ways to volunteer and donate.
– AACRAO Statement on Hate Crimes Against Asian Americans
– AACRAO Caucuses page
– AACRAO Core Competency: Diversity and Inclusion
Connect | Educate | Advocate4 weeks ago
Prior Learning Assessment in Higher Education2 months ago
Campus Partners: The Office of Financial Aid2 months ago
Access, Equity, and Inclusion in Practice3 months ago
A Commentary on the State of Affairs in the United States of America3 months ago
Comprehensive Learner Record (CLR) Data Standards3 months ago
Registrar as Superhero5 months ago
How to Work Smarter7 months ago
Registrar Tips, Tricks, and Hacks - Vol. 17 months ago
International Students and Online Learning9 months ago